A. (by Dr Zakir): The common errors committed by Muslims that fall in the 3rd category i.e. – the errors committed by the Muslims mainly due to neglecting the obligatory duties in Islam and indulging in acts which are prohibited are:
- Many Muslims stay awake for the full night. They have an early sahoor and these people do not offer their fajar salaah. Missing fajar salaah is a sin. Many of them because they stay awake full night, they sleep the full day and they even miss zuhar and asar salaah which is a great sin. They are trying to acquire blessings and you are neglecting the obligatory duty which is totally prohibited.
- Many of the Muslims do not give the zakat, those who are supposed to give zakat. And zakat is one of the pillars of Islam in which every Muslim who has saving of the nisaab level i.e. those who have a saving of 85g of gold they should give 2.5% every lunar year in charity.
- Most of the Muslims who give the zakat do not calculate the zakat properly.
- Indulging in prohibited acts, the most common is though these acts are prohibited for a Muslim irrespective whether it is month of Ramadan or non-Ramadan. Bust specifically we should be more careful in Ramadan. The most common is back biting and slandering. Backbiting is a great sin and Allah subhanwatala says in the Quran in Surah Al-Hujurat Ch. 49 V. 12 that “those who backbite are the people who eat the dead meat of their own brother”. So backbiting and slandering is one of the grievous sins.
- Muslims many of them use false speech, they tell lies during month of Ramadan.
- They use abusive language which is contrary to the spirit of Islam and of Ramadan.
- They use vulgur language.
- They involve themselves in gossiping.
- Some of them involve in false actions
- Many of the Muslims to kill time they listen to music and un-Islamic songs which is totally prohibited in Islam.
- Many of the Muslims to kill time watch un-Islamic television program and movies.
- Many of Muslims read un-Islamic books and magazines and view un-Islamic pictures which is totally prohibited in Islam.
- Many of them go to un-Islamic sites on the internet which is again prohibited.
- They spend excessively and commit extravagant.
- There is a lot of waste of food.
The common errors committed by Muslims that fall in the 4th category i.e. – other common errors committed my Muslims in the month of Ramadan is:
- Many of Muslims stay awake the full night and they sleep in the day and they do the normal activities in the night time and sleep in the day time. They are converting the day into night and night into day and the whole purpose of fasting is defeated.
- Many of Muslims they remain lazy and inactive during the daytime which is contrary to the spirit of fasting.
- They try to kill the time by playing, by amusements and games which defeats the purpose again.
- Muslims, they give lavish iftaar parties and spend lot of money, many trying to show off.
- Many of Muslims ask the women folk to prepare variety of dishes for iftaar and sahoor thus making the women in the family spend the majority of the time in the kitchen infact the family should spend most of the time in remembering Allah subhanwatala and if the women folk do more dua inshallah even the men will benefit, even their sins will be forgiven inshallah
- Many of Muslims they renovate their house and shops in month of Ramadan, spend more time in that than remembering Allah subhanwatala
- Many of Muslims, they spend their nights instead of remembering Allah subhanwatala in activities that are unproductive. For example
- After taraweeh they spend excessive time in socialising.
- Many of Muslims spend many nights and most part of nights in shopping.
- Most of the Muslims spend their nights in eating.
- Many of the Muslims spend their time in robing and loitering during the night.
- Last ten days of Ramadan are the days in which Muslims should do more ibaadah but most of the Muslims spend their time in shopping, in celebrating and preparing themselves for Eid. And most of them in activaties that are unproductive rather than in ibaadh.
So these were the other common errors committed by Muslims in Ramadan and I hope they will abstain from these errors in future inshallah.