A. (by #drzakirnaik): There are in total 13 categories of people who are exempted from fasting
- If person is an unbeliever i.e. if he is a non-Muslim. *
- If he/she is a minor. *
- If he/she is insane.*
- If it’s a lady and she is menstruating. **
- If she has post-natal bleeding. **
- If she is pregnant. **
- If she is breastfeeding. **
- If a person is ill or sick. **
- If a person is disabled. ***
- If person is very elderly i.e. very old. ***
- If the person is travelling. **
- If the person is taking part in Jihad or fight in the cause of Allah. **
- Under compulsion. If someone forces the person to break the fast, he/she is exempted. **
*: they do not have to make their fast late on.
**: the moment the condition in which they are gets reversed then they have to make up for the fast they have missed before the next Ramadan.
***: do not have to make up for the fast but they have to pay the ransom – the feeding of a poor person for every fast that they miss.